When your baby starts crawling and walking, it’s exciting. Until you realize that they are no longer staying where you put them down! Babies and toddlers are naturally curious, which means if it’s accessible to them, they will get into it. However, spending hundreds of dollars on baby gates from a specialty baby store is not necessary. If you have a baby who is crawling or a toddler walking, then a diy baby gate or barrier is absolutely necessary.
While we want to keep our babies safe, sometimes it is not realistic to spend the amount of money on a gate from a baby store. Especially since, in most cases, we are only going to use it for about a year. This is where a DIY gate comes in handy. There are many different ways you can make a DIY baby gate for your home.
If you have wood lying around, whether it is barn wood or a pallet, (ensure that the wood hasn’t been treated for chemicals that can harm the baby), you can make a wood baby gate pretty quickly. You can model it after the gates in the stores or make a simple barrier to stop your baby from accessing an area.
PVC pipe is cheap and accessible and can be easily shaped into a baby gate. Since the PVC gate is light, it will be easy for you to unlatch and open while your hands are full. In addition, the PVC that you use for the gate can also be repurposed for a future project.
If you have some old curtains, blankets, bedsheets, or other material lying around the house, it can easily be repurposed to become a baby gate to keep your baby safe. The advantage of using fabric is that you can brighten up a room with it or blend into your home. Have a look the 15 DIY baby gate plans below and get inspired:
1. DIY Fabric Baby Gate | Tutorial: ejay-curlygirl.blogspot.com
2. Half Doors Instead of Baby Gates | More details: kellyraeroberts.com
3. DIY Industrial Baby Gate | Tutorial: simplydesigning.porch.com
4. Make a Baby Gate From an Old Wood Door | Tutorial: snapguide.com
5. A Safety Baby Gate For a High Built Deck | Tutorial: bowerpowerblog.com
6. Cut Out a Little Section at the Bottom that Acts as The Cat Door | Tutorial: typicallysimple.com
7. Pallet Wood Baby Gate | Tutorial: ithinkwecouldbefriends.com
8. Use Heavy Duty Plexi-glass In a Baby Gate | Tutorial: chrislovesjulia.com
9. DIY Baby Gate Made Of PVC Pipes | Tutorial: yourmodernfamily.com
10. Use Regular 1×2 Poplar Wood Slabs To Build a Baby Gate | Tutorial: blueantstudio.blogspot.com
11. Take some bias tape, cord bundlers and fabric to make your baby gate | Tutorial: thediyplaybook.com
12. Make a Custom Built Baby Gate | Tutorial: pbjstories.com
13. Baby gate looks perfectly traditional and rustic in the final looks | Tutorial: wilkerdos.com
14. DIY Dutch Barn Door Baby Gate | Tutorial: remodelaholic.com
15. The Little Red Door – Baby Gate | Tutorial: thegirlswithglasses.com